Monday, April 30, 2018

THE (Wii)KLY

Hi Everyone! 
Hope you all had a great week! 
It was another fun week in LA!

We had a lot going on in the mornings for some reason this week so we didn't have a single day with the regular morning schedule of exercise, get ready, plan, study, go out. It was kind of fun to mix it up for a week.

As far as an update on how the investigators are doing goes, its been great! We recently got in contact with a progressing investigator named E__ that missed a couple of lessons and wasn't responding to texts or calls. Normally that means they're not interested anymore. But, it turns out she had been pondering on the lessons we taught and had lots of great questions. We were able to have a lesson and help her understand a lot of things so it was a great surprise to find her still interested. We are planning to go to the visitor center with her on Sunday!

We are also working with the S__ family. They are super awesome and their testimonies always amaze me. They have all committed to be Baptised and want to be Baptised on the same day. The only thing holding them back is that the mom hasn't been able to get Sundays off from work yet. As soon as she is able to do that they will all be Baptised! Pretty exciting!

Another fun experience from last Sunday. We were driving to church and we stopped at a red light. We waited for a little bit then a truck came zooming thru the intersection obviously trying to hit a yellow light. He yanked the wheel and turned onto the road we were on and the whole truck started screeching as it lost traction and began drifting. It drifted until it was going sideways and it looked like it was going to flip. The driver overcorrected and the truck spun back around in the opposite direction until it came to a stop in a perfect parrallel parking position just inches from the curb. It was the most epic thing we've seen in a while. The best part was seeing the wife in the passenger seat freaking out in complete horror as her husband performed the coolest driving stunt I've ever seen. And the guy just turned around and drove away as if nothing had happened. Apparently, somebody has been practicing Mario Cart for years and finally mastered it in reality. We were screaming at the top of our lungs "DID YOU SEE THAT???!!!" 

Have a great week!
-Elder Burgon 





Mama B here...E. Lam, Eric's companion, shared some sweet things about Eric in his letter that really touched my mama heart. I thought I'd share his letter with you. Missionaries just amaze me!!!


Konichiwaaaaa!

This week's schedule has been pretty weird because somehow every morning we got stuff to do, doctor appointment, interviews and meetings. But all of them were enlightening and interesting. So it's good weird, just like me HA. And this week I've been constantly exhausted. I fell asleep all the time, on my desk, on the couch, even on the floor. My companion was talking to me the other day and I was knocked out after he stopped speaking for 2 seconds. He woke me up and I mumbled "keep eating". Apparently I had a dream of him pounding food in that 2-sec sleep. Missionary life to its fullest.

Despite all of that craziness, my companion surprised me with his immense love and patience for the people in this "great place" (mama B edited original text to reflect the teachings of the gospel ;o).

The other day we were knocking on a door. An old guy opened the door. We thought he would be nice because we were in a less ghetto neighbourhood. We started introducing ourselves and asked him a question. Then we asked him "how do think about our purpose in this life?" He quickly responded, "to survive." I could smell a strong hostility when he spake those words. So I decided to stand and see how my companion response because I was planning to leave. My companion continued on how God has a plan for us. The old guy interrupted before he could even finish his sentene, said "You've talked too much, bye" then slammed the door on us. I felt so sorry for him. I murmured to myself "white people..." (And it's actually true. Almost all the white people we came across were super mean to us) What amazed me was right after he got slammed, he remained silent. He didn't complain at all! When we moved to the next house, he still got that smiley face on him. That bad experinece didn't bother him at all. He reminded me of how Jesus Christ was being casted out by the people from his hometown. Yet, he continued to teach in joy and with perfect hope. The greatest commandment for us is to love God, but the greatest truth is that God loves us with all His might, mind and strength. His loving arms is always extended to us simply because He loves us. No matter the circumstances, as long as we turn unto Him, He will receive us. I encourage all of you to read this talk Until Seventy Times Seven by Elder Lynn G. Robbins. I can promise you after reading it, you will feel the inifinte love that our Heavenly Father has for us. Knock, the door shall be opened.


3 Nephi 9:14
Yea, verily I say unto you, if ye will come unto me ye shall have eternal life. Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me.
Peace,
Elder Lam

Compilation of me dying in various positions 
(Warning: photos may cause disturbance)
(Apparently Eric is still working on his sleeping missionary pics portfolio and his companion is his current subject) haha